Thursday 27 October 2011

Diwali-Festival of Lights


It's my favourite time of the year, when the biggest festival that's celebrated in India finally arrives. Diwali or Deepawali signifies the victory of good over evil- the victory of Lord Ram over the evil king -Raavan.  People all over the country celebrate this day by lighting beautiful lamps called -Diyas , that come in numerous shapes and sizes, and by bursting crackers. Diwali  unleashes the child within each one of us.  We make beautiful motifs outside our houses using dry, powdered colors- known as a rangoli.

I made one today- and it took me 4 hours nearly. However I'm quite pleased with the result. This day is mostly spent with family members and close friends!! So here's wishing everyone out there, a Very Happy and Prosperous Diwali!!

Oh and I'm wearing this dress that I my mum made for me , along with some blue oxfords and this stone-laden Forever 21 cuff.

P.S- on scrolling down, you will find many more pictures of Rangolis (the ones that were made by my neighbours.)








My rangoli


My rangoli - all lit up with diyas











Stairs adjoining my house

Entrance to my house

2 comments:

  1. Your dress is so cute and i love how your house is decorated! <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I love my house around this time tooo!

    ReplyDelete