Monday 19 September 2011

Earthquake

For the 1st time ever, I experienced an earthquake. Yesterday , at around 6:12 pm , I was studying in tuition when my teacher suddenly said ," I don't know why , but I feel as though my house is always shaking." I thought she was being paranoid or something like that. But then we just stopped (my friends were with me in tuition). Everyone around us just stopped. And felt. We all felt it. but it wasn't too strong so we dismissed it . Then within seconds news started flooding in. Those people in tuition who had blackberry phones started getting updates about an earthquake measuring 6.9 on the Richter scale originating from Sikkim (near the Himalyas). It lasted for about 10-12 seconds.

When I came home, I saw the residents of my building gathered downstairs in groups, all too frightened to go up. This is the first time ever anyone of us in Kolkata has ever experienced something like this. I know it wasn't a big one, but nevertheless I did become excited , just for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment